Records previous to the construction of the house, show that in the late 1800s the property was passed, in various combinations of ownership, among female members of the WU faculty and Pres. Van Scoy. All were active in the women suffrage movement.
L. R. Peebles was a carpenter/builder who owned the house from 1911 to 1919. The house was plumbed and wired in 1922. In the 1920s, the Rankin family probably built the structure in the rear which appears to have been used to develop photographic film for a son's business. A photograph of the property was taken in 1929. Other owners, before 1976, were Harriet Chenowith and her husband and John Stapleton.