DISCOVER displays photos and descriptions of more than 250 individual historic properties. Local Landmarks (LL), Federal National Register of Historic Places (NR) and potential candidates (D) are designated. Use Search to locate a property by name, street or neighborhood.
Wednesday, September 5, 2018
Mr. St. Pierre died in 1917, but his widow continued to occupy the house until 1935. In 1938, the ranch was purchased by Fred and Marie Kubin, prosperous fruit farmers in the area. That family occupied the property until 1978. The present owners allowed the property to be successfully nominated for the National Register of Historic Places in 1989.
Below is a handsome, undated photograph of the house that appears on the internet under the source www.waymarking.com.
Posted by Virginia Green at 9:33 AM
Saturday, March 31, 2018
A Koval photograph taken in 1978 shows the appearance of this residence has changed little in the more than one hundred years since it was built. Since his time, many other prominent Salem families have owned the home including a member of the City Council, Willamette professors, and a Master Gardener. The house and grounds have been well maintained on this handsome corner lot.
Posted by Virginia Green at 3:18 PM
Saturday, March 3, 2018
A natural-born politician, McKay was Salem mayor 1933 to 1934, elected as state Senator 1935 to 1949 and became governor in 1950. President Eisenhower appointed McKay as Secretary of the Interior in 1952. After returning from Washington, D.C. in 1956, this continued to be the McKay home until his death in 1959 and Mabel's death in 1969. A biography of Douglas McKay was published in the Salemhistory website.
Thursday, March 1, 2018
On February 8, 1923, Edwin R. and Marie Viesko purchased property from E.A. and Elsie Rhoten for $450. By 1924, Ed and Marie Viesko were living at this address in Salem's Nob Hill subdivision.
During the 1920s, Ed Viesko worked with his father in construction and started building homes, but selling the houses was challenging because of the Depression. He switched to commercial construction and partnered with Jim Hannaman, a local architect, forming "Viesko and Hannaman". They built several commercial structures. After Hannaman's death, Viesko partnered with Claude Post and established "Viesko and Post". They were responsible for Salem buildings such as the Marion County Courthouse, the Salem Armory, the Statesman Journal Building and Meier and Frank retail store as well as three schools.
This was the home of Edwin and Marie Viesko until their deaths in 1969 and 1970. It was passed down to their daughters and since then to a number of owners.
Sunday, November 1, 2015
This Vernacular Queen Anne house is sited on part of the Alvin F. and Elepha Waller Donation Land Claim. The lot was acquired by Mrs. Martha J. Atwood and the house was built for her in 1893. Mrs. Atwood's daughter, Linnie, married A. A. Lee in the new house in 1894. Mrs. Atwood sold the property to J. D. Trammel in August of 1903; Mr. Trammel sold it to George and Ida Eyre in 1904. It remained in the Eyre family until sold by the daughter, Mary Eyre, in 1996.
Sunday, August 26, 2012
Sunday, June 17, 2012
Even though this block was excluded from the Gaiety Hill/Bush Pasture Park National Register Historic District, just to the north, it represents a period development in South Salem which defines the character of the neighborhood. It was placed on the city's list of Local Landmarks in 2012.
Posted by Virginia Green at 2:55 PM