DISCOVER

DISCOVER displays photos and descriptions of more than 250 individual historic properties. Local Landmarks (LL), Federal National Register of Historic Places (NR) and potential candidates (D) are designated. Use Search to locate a property by name, street or neighborhood.

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Jarman, 567 High Street SE, (NR)


This unique 1929 Spanish Colonial home, also photographed circa 1960, was designed by Glen C. McAllister of Santa Monica. The gardens were designed by Lord and Schryver. Daniel P. Jarman, the original owner, was a J.C. Penney executive. The second owner, Louis Lachmund, was a prominent businessman and former mayor. (His previous Piety Hill home had been purchased and removed from its Court Street site by the state for the construction of the North Capitol Mall in 1938.) This residence is on the National Register of Historic Places.
An interesting historical note: this building replaced the home of John Hughes, well-known merchant whose daughter Lulu married A.N. Bush, the son of Asahel Bush. The Asahel Bush family lived lived just south of this location at their residence, now Bush House Museum.
(SCAN)

Harding, 1043 High Street SE, (NR)

This Italianate residence was built in 1884 for lawyer, state legislator, and U.S. Senator Benjamin F. Harding (1823-1899) in what was then a suburb of Salem. The architect is speculated to be W. F. Boothby, also known for his designs of several of Salem's fine older downtown buildings. Jacob and Lou Amsler owned this house beginning in 1903. Jacob was an important employee of the Bush family, later acting as chauffeur and assistant for Miss Sally. His family owned several properties in early Salem. This house was also photographed by Bob Koval in 1978. It was accepted into the National Register on December 21, 1981 and is in the Gaiety Hill/Bush's Pasture Park Historic District.
(SCAN)

South First National Bank, 241-247 Commercial Street NE (NR)

South First National Bank Block of 1887 is shown here at right with awnings. Originally two buildings, changes in 1923 incorporated a central stairway for access to offices on the second floor. It is the only remaining building designed by Holly Cornell (1859-1911), a local architect who also designed the residences of Governor Zenas Moody and Werner Breyman ~ both now demolished. For many years, Benjamin Forstner and his family operated a store in the south section of the building. A photograph was taken in 1992. This building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is in the Salem Downtown Historic District.
(CAN-DO)

Starkey-McCully Building, 223-233 Commercial Street NE, (NR)


Only 70 feet of this 1867 Italianate Starkey-McCully Building building remain, the northern, two-story section of a five-story business block. The cast iron decoration is believed to be the oldest of its kind in Oregon. It was built by Asa McCully and John L. Starkey who had formed a partnership and moved to Oregon after their success in the California Gold Rush. Another photograph shows the appearance of the building circa 1950. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
(CAN-DO)

Odd Fellows Hall and Annex, 181-195 High Street NE, (NR)

The original Richardson Romanesque design of this 1900 building included a central bell tower, now gone, but the integrity of the building remains. As the “Mother Lodge” in the Northwest of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, this site provided member benefits and community services. The theater closed in 1950, however renovation in the 1990s (see photograph before renovation) brought new life to this historic downtown intersection. We thank the owner, Carole Smith, for the photograph above.
The 1921 Central Stage Terminal and Hotel is Mediterranean style building, constructed by the Odd Fellows Fraternal Order. It had a restaurant entrance on the south, a hotel bus depot in the center and a store entrance to the north. The second floor contained offices and hotel accommodations. The Chemeketa Lodge utilized the hotel to finance their charitable activities. The buildings are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
(CAN-DO)

Reed Opera House and McCornack Building 177-189 Liberty Street NE, (NR)

The Reed Opera House, built in 1869-70, originally housed the Oregon Supreme Court and State Library on the third floor, a 1,500 seat auditorium on the second, and seven stores at street level. A photograph shows it in 1888. It closed in 1900 after the opening of the Grand Theater. The interior was redesigned in 1936 for Joseph Meyers and Sons (and later Miller’s) Department Store. It was renovated in 1976.
The McCornack Building was constructed in 1902 on the south wall of the Reed Opera House by the owner, E. P. McCornack, an addition intended as a furniture store. After twenty years, the stock was replaced and it became “Worth’s Department Store”. In the 1930s it was regarded as one of the best retail stores in Salem.
They are listed together on the National Register of Historic Places.
(CAN-DO)

Manning Building 210 State Street, (NR)


This property was originally owned by the pioneer Holman family. It was sold to S. T. Northcutt in 1889 who built a wooden structure for blacksmiths and carriage makers. In 1908 the present Manning Company Building was constructed for Samuel A. Manning’s automotive and farm equipment business. It was purchased by the Derby family for use by the Salem Seed and Implement Company of 1932-53. (See 1990s photograph,) The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
(CAN-DO)

Monday, June 8, 2009

Smith and Wade Building, 229 State Street (LL)


The 1870 Smith & Wade Building retains its 1910 appearance with slight modifications of the 1980s.
The earliest building on this site sold “agricultural implements” according to a newspaper account. Reuben Boise bought it in 1890 and sold it to his daughter, Mae Lauterman in 1910. By the mid-1920s, one half of the building was George Water's wholesale cigar store, the other half occupied by the “Gospel Mission”. The Lauterman family retained an interest in this Local Landmark property until 1962.
(CAN-DO)

McGilchrist Building, 102 Liberty Street NE, (SDHD)

This 1916 Revival style building is inscribed with the builders name in bas relief on the upper level. The elder generation of the family operated the “White House Restaurant” on State Street. Son James, also owner, established a furniture, restaurant and real estate business. He became the first Capitol guide, a position he held until 1953. Located on one of Salem's most historic downtown corners, this building is designated as a Local Landmark. (See 1950s photograph.)
(CAN-DO)

Ladd and Bush Bank Building, 302 State Street, (LL)


Salem's first financial institution, the former Ladd and Bush Bank, was founded in 1869 by Asahel Bush, II (1824-1913), a prominent figure in Salem's financial and political history. (See 1880s photograph.) In 1967 the interior was renovated, the building expanded on State Street and additional cast iron decorations from the demolished Ladd and Tilton Bank of Portland were applied on the exterior. This building is designated as a Local Landmark.
(CAN-DO)

United States National Bank/Pioneer Trust 109-117 Commercial Street NE, (LL)


This 1909 Commercial style building was the first steel and concrete, fire-resistant building in Salem and included all the latest banking conveniences when built by J. P. Rogers, owner of the US National Bank of Salem. (See 1930 photograph from State Street.) In 1940 when Ladd and Bush Bank became part of U.S. National Bank, the trust division survived in this building as the Pioneer Trust Bank.
(CAN-DO)

Pomeroy Building, 379-83 State Street, (LL)

The 1925 Pomeroy Building replaced an 1860 rooming house. Charles T. Pomeroy and A. A. Keene purchased the building and remodeled it into two retail stores. A central staircase with skylight divides the two stores. Substantial integrity of design has been maintained with an especially attractive street level facade and entrance. A jewelry store there was managed by Audrey Pomeroy into the 1990s. Her brother had an adjoining optical shop in this Local Landmark. (See 1941 photograph.)
(CAN-DO)

Masonic Building 101 High Street NE, (LL)

This 1912 Mediterranean/Moorish style building was designed by architect Ellis Lawrence, founder and first dean of the Oregon School of Architecture. Terra cotta is liberally used for exterior decoration. (See 1915 photograph.) Now known as The Franklin Building, it has recently been remodeled and contains offices with a ballroom on the sixth floor.
(CAN-DO)

Greenbaum, South Eldridge Block, 240-54 Commercial Street NE, (LL)

This 1889 Italianate building of 23 bays originally extended south from Chemeketa Street to the end of the block at Court Street. Wilbur Boothby developed the property in 1890. (See photograph of 1892 Fourth of July Parade street scene.) The present storefront dates from the 1930s. For more than sixty years, this building was occupied by “Greenbaums”, a popular variety store. The third generation of the family continues to maintain a store at this Local Landmark.
(CAN-DO)

Gray Building 105-35 Liberty Street NE, (LL)

The Gray name and date of construction are written in recessed letters on the upper facade of this 1891 building. The three Gray brothers had early Salem hardware and construction businesses, but left Salem about 1907. By 1900 they sold the building to Russell Catlin and James R. Lynn, hop growers and merchants. The present owners of this Local Landmark are descendants of Russell Catlin.
(CAN-DO)

Gill Building, 356 State Street, (NR)


Constructed by the prominent Northwest book dealer, J.K. Gill in 1868, this is one of the oldest buildings in the historic district. In 1869, the First Presbyterian Church of Salem was organized on the upper floor. In 1888, Christopher Paulus purchased the property and opened a saloon, beginning a series of establishments serving alcohol at this location. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (See 1992 photograph.)
(CAN-DO)

Farrar Family Building, 352 State Street, (NR)

The one-story Farrar Building (to the left above) was built c 1917 and altered in the 1930s. The Midget Market was one of many shops occupying space here. From 1930 through 1981, the store to the east was the Smoke Shop, not only selling cigars, but serving food and drinks at a counter. Billiard and cards were played in the back. It became a community institution, serving farm and transient laborers in the Salem area. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (See 1992 photograph.)
(CAN-DO)

Elsinore Theater, 170 High Street SE, (NR)

The Elsinore Theater was built by George Guthrie at a cost of $250,000 and opened on May 28, 1926 (see photograph) with the silent film, “The Volga Boatman” by Cecil B. DeMille. The Elsinore was designed by architect Ellis Lawrence for both stage and film, and movies were often combined with vaudeville. The theater was damaged by the Columbus Day storm of 1962. Community donations funded a renovation in 2004 that restored its Tudor Gothic ornamentation. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
(CAN-DO)

Dearborn Building, 110 Commercial Street NE, (LL)


The Watkins-Dearborn Building at 110 Commercial Street retained its 1870s Italianate style on the second level through the renovations of 1920 and the 1940s. Originally a harness-making shop, it became Holland Bakery in 1910. When Samuel Adolph and his brother-in-law Edward Rostein opened their Real Estate and General Insurance business in 1931, their office was in this building and remained here until 1963. Tucked between newer buildings, this Local Landmark is hardly noticed among today's businesses.
(CAN-DO)

Catlin Building, 246 State Street, (LL)

The 1900 Catlin & Linn Building at 246 State Street was constructed on the site of the Tiger Engine Fire House, No. 2, organized in 1869, continuing as a volunteer organization until 1893 when the city created a paid fire department. A garage with concrete floor was a feature of this building through the 1920s, testifying to its early use for auto storage and repairs.
(CAN-DO)

Livesley Building, 388 State Street, (NR)


The 1926 First National Bank, Capitol Tower is Salem's only skyscraper at 11 stories tall. This building was financed by Thomas A. Livesley, a leading hop grower as well as a Salem politician and entrepreneur. Elaborate ornamentation decorates the exterior of the eleventh floor upward to the parapet: a standing human figure with stylized wings; bearded human faces in relief; statuary of griffins. It stands at one of Salem's most historic commercial corners at State and Liberty Street. (See 1935 photograph taken at Ferry and Liberty.) The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
(CAN-DO)

Boise Building, 217 State Street, (NR)


The 1913 Boise Building reflects the original design of architect Fred Legg who also designed structures at the State Fairgrounds. The original owner, R. B. Boise, Jr., was a well-known northwest journalist and owner of the Oregon Statesman. It previously served as a farm machinery store, a garage and automotive center and as a steel warehouse. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (See 1992 photograph.)
(CAN-DO)

Bush-Breyman Block, 135-146 Commercial Street NE, (NR)


This 1889 Queen Anne style block (to the right) was designed by Walter D. Pugh and built by Asahel Bush and Werner Breyman. It housed retail stores on the ground floor with professional offices on the second floor. The original building was twice the size: the Bush portion north portion was damaged by fire in 1960 and subsequently demolished, leaving only a solitary column. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (See 1949 photograph.)
To the left in this photograph is the 1880 Capital National Bank Building. This bank was remodeled in 1892 to the Richardsonian Romanesque style. The keystone in the arch has a facsimile of the Oregon beaver dollar of 1849. The building was remodeled again in 1950 by James L. Payne, Salem architect. Placing the modern front onto the building required lifting up the 100 ton stone fa├žade during construction.
(CAN-DO)

Adolph Block, 360-372 State Street, (NR)

The brick 1880 Adolph Block (the Italianate facades to the left) was constructed by Samuel Adolph after fire destroyed the wooden buildings here. It offered space for three businesses: Smith and Millican, butchers, and Adolph’s saloon were the first two. The third store included jewelers and The White House Restaurant. The Cooke/Henery family has operated a stationery store in the western two stores since 1935. (See 1992 photograph.) The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Gill Building and the former Ladd and Bush Bank complete the photograph.
(CAN-DO)

Bayne Building 335-349 State Street, (LL)


The 1902 Bayne Building was constructed by two brothers, John and George Bayne, who selected a prominent Salem architect, William Knighton, to design their building. Alterations in recent years have restored much of the original integrity. It housed a bakery and the Little King Restaurant in the east side. For over a hundred years a barber shop (now the OK Barber Shop) has occupied the western half. It is designated a Local Landmark.
(CAN-DO)

Bush-Brey Building, 179 Commercial St. NE, (NR)


The Bush and Brey Block and Annex was built in 1889, altered c. 1918 and again in the 1970s. It displays the Italianate style of architect Walter D. Pugh, retaining its original ornamentation with few changes. Clothing stores were traditionally located here along with Busick and Sons, Grocers(1924-1970) on the corner. Busick Court Restaurant continues the family business around the corner on Court Street. Professional offices and civic institutions were established upstairs when downtown was the center of Salem civic activities. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
(CAN-DO)