The house built as a replacement for the Waln family's first house, built in the late 1880s. The family owned land this area and a generation later L. A. Waln still had property west of Grabenhorst Fruit Farms #2 in 1929. Lon's Hill Fruit Tracts, a plat divided into 18 sections may have been part of their large property.
The present owners shared a photograph of the house in its original location (below), then outside the city limits. Annexed in the 1960s and 1970s, this is now a part of South Gateway, a Salem neighborhood of suburban residences. Waln Creek, the only present landmark remembering the family, runs through that area today.